Editor’s note. The following comes from Rhode Island Right to Life. The specific information how to contact Rhode Island state Representatives is found here.
The Rhode Island House Judiciary Committee has scheduled a hearing on two EXTREME New York style abortion expansion bills ( 2019 — H 5125 and 2019 — H 5127 ) for Tuesday, January 29, beginning sometime after 4 pm and going late into the evening.
In order to stop these bills, an IMMEDIATE and MASSIVE pro-life OUTCRY is CRITICAL. We need you to (1) email your State Representative, and then to (2) call your State Representative, and then to (3) attend Tuesday’s hearing.
According to expert legal analysis:
“Both H 5127 and H 5125 would:
- Eliminate any constitutional restrictions on late-term abortions
- Eliminate any constitutional restrictions on methods of abortion
- Undermine the authority of the State and the Department of Health from enacting and adopting constitutional restrictions on the performance of abortions at facilities where abortions are performed
- Require the State to pay for all abortions sought by Medicaid-eligible pregnant women and women covered by the “payer of last Resort” program
“In addition, H 5127 would:
- Repeal existing constitutional protection for a viable unborn child from criminal assaults on the child’s mother
“and H 5125 would
- Substantially “water down” the State’s parental consent statute by allowing consent to be obtained from persons who have no constitutional right to give consent (grandparents and adult siblings)
“Neither H 5127 nor H 5125 could plausibly be regarded as merely “codifying” the principles of Roe v. Wade.”
Any hope of defeating these bills requires a VERY LARGE TURNOUT for the hearings. Parking is available at the Providence Place Mall in addition to ample street side parking in the vicinity of the State House.
PLEASE URGE FAMILY, FRIENDS, COLLEAGUES TO JOIN YOU in taking these 3 immediate actions: (1) email your State Representative, (2) call your State Representative, (3) attend Tuesday’s hearing.
As noted at the beginning, Rhode Islanders should go here for information about composing your response and sending it along.