By Dave Andrusko
As I watched pro-abortion President Joe Biden’s disastrous press conference yesterday, I thought what might be the impact of his marginally coherent answers on his job approval numbers.
Going in, his average job approval—as compiled by Real Clear Politics—stood at 40.1%. Three of the six most recent have the President in the 30s. However, after yesterday performance even the Washington Post trashed him.
“Special counsel Robert K. Hur’s report, while concluding that criminal charges were not merited for Biden’s careless handling of classified documents, painted a devastating portrait of an 81-year-old president whose age has become a central issue in his reelection campaign, saying his memory was ‘significantly limited’ and that he had ‘limited precision and recall,’” Matt Viser and Tyler Pager wrote. “One reason prosecutors concluded they would have trouble pursuing a case was that a jury might see Biden as an appealing — if forgetful — senior citizen. … ‘It would be difficult to convince a jury that they should convict him — by then a former president well into his eighties — of a serious felony that requires a mental state of willfulness’”.
It couldn’t get worse, right? Bill King noted how Biden’s standing in the Latino community had collapsed:
A poll by the University of Houston was released last week on the prospects for the March primary elections and the November general election in Texas. The poll unsurprisingly projected that Biden and Trump were headed to another showdown in November, and that Trump was leading Biden in that rematch by 9% in Texas. However, what I suspect the Biden campaign team found shocking was that Biden was losing to Trump with Latino voters by a 47-41 margin. Only 55% of Latino Democratic primary voters said they were committed to vote for Biden. The other 45% were undecided.
On Wednesday, Gallup added to President Biden’s woes. Jeffrey M. Jones and Lydia Saad tell us
- The Democratic Party’s wide lead over Republicans in Black Americans’ party preferences has shrunk by nearly 20 points over the past three years.
- Democrats’ leads among Hispanic adults and adults aged 18 to 29 have slid nearly as much, resulting in Democrats’ holding only a modest edge among both groups.
- Whereas Democrats were at parity with Republicans among men as recently as 2009, and among non-college-educated adults as recently as 2019, they are now in the red with both groups.
And, for good measure,
These shifts in the party affiliation of key subgroups provide the demographic backstory for how Democrats went from enjoying significant leads over Republicans between 2012 and 2021, to slight deficits in 2022 and 2023. The 27% of U.S. adults identifying as Democrats and the 43% identifying as or leaning Democratic are both new lows in Gallup’s trend.