Ohio’s pro-life movement has much more to accomplish to save lives effectively. As we head into the new year, there are a few things to take note of.
- The Heartbeat Law was placed on an indefinite hold again by Hamilton County Judge Christian Jenkins on September 14th, 2022, making abortion legal once again through 22 weeks of pregnancy. The Ohio Supreme Court could hear this case as soon as the summer of 2023. When they do, they will likely rule in favor of life, making it possible to enforce the Heartbeat Law again. Enforcement of the Heartbeat Law is shown to decrease abortion by 65%.
While protecting life that has a detectable heartbeat is admirable, it is not enough. Whether someone has a heartbeat or not, they must be equally protected under our laws. Therefore, we must pass effective legislation unequivocally protecting every life inside the womb from conception.
- The abortion lobby has already announced its plans to introduce a ballot initiative to enshrine so-called “abortion rights” in our state’s constitution. Ohio Right to Life and other organizations have pledged to fight against this in the strongest manner.
To summarize, the pro-life movement must focus on four things here in the state of Ohio:
1. Pass legislation to protect all innocent human life in the womb, starting at conception.
2. Help our moms, dads, and babies in need by supporting local pregnancy centers through legislation, financial donations, and volunteering.
3. Educate all Ohioans on the dignity of the human person, whom their Creator endows with inherent worth and value being made in God’s image and likeness.
- Refocus our efforts to strengthen families and marriages to ensure every child conceived is welcomed into a loving home