By Kelsey Hazzard, Secular Pro-life
The U.S. midterm elections will take place on Tuesday, November 8, and early voting has already begun in many places. Post-Dobbs, the stakes are huge: election outcomes will determine whether countless babies are born, or are killed before they can take their first breaths.
Several states have abortion measures on the ballot:
- California: Proposition 1 would alter the state constitution to declare a “fundamental right to choose to have an abortion,” without gestational limits, making the state even more hostile to the unborn than it already is.
- Kentucky: Amendment 2 would protect babies by adding to the state constitution: “To protect human life, nothing in this Constitution shall be construed to secure or protect a right to abortion or require the funding of abortion.”
- Michigan: Proposal 3 would repeal 41 life-protective laws in Michigan, including parental consent, and require taxpayer funding of abortion.
- Montana: LR-131 is a born-alive infant protection measure; its passage would affirm that babies who survive abortion attempts are legal persons with the right to medical care.
- Vermont: Proposal 5 would insert a “right to personal reproductive autonomy” — a euphemism for abortion — into the state constitution.