You can help Stop the Right-to-Abortion Amendment by completing the 2020 Commonwealth Abortion Survey Today
By Olivia Gans Turner, President, Virginia Society for Human Life (VSHL)
Radical pro-abortion politicians like Governor Ralph Northam (who declared abortion an “essential service” when he shut down the state due to COVID-19), Senate Majority Leader Dick Saslaw, and abortion promoters like Planned Parenthood are determined to permanently legalize taxpayer-funded abortion-on-demand up until birth and beyond, by amending the Virginia Constitution.
We are just as determined to stop them from passing this extreme Right-to-Abortion Amendment to the Virginia Constitution.
But we need your help TODAY.
Please COMPLETE the enclosed the 2020 Commonwealth Abortion Survey.
This survey of tens of thousands of Virginians is designed to do several things. First, to help us fine-tune our strategy and messaging to help us be more effective in our battle to fight this Right-to-Abortion Amendment.
The second purpose of this survey is to help educate and recruit pro-life citizens from around Virginia to join VSHL as we lead the fight against this Amendment.
We will need to launch a massive effort through education, grassroots activism, social media, a multi-channel advertising campaign, lobbying, and more to defeat this amendment.
I know this is not the best time to send this letter while we are all in lock-down in our homes because of the Coronavirus.
But we need to begin our efforts now if we are going to defeat this pro-abortion amendment.
Look at how committed Governor Northam is to abortion. Even during this Coronavirus lock-down he has said that abortion is an “essential service.” Keeping abortion facilities open, allowing them to continue using medical supplies that are in short supply in hospitals that should be used to save lives instead.
I am outraged by this and I hope you are too.
And we just don’t have time to wait until this crisis is over to begin fighting against this Right-to-Abortion Constitutional Amendment.
We don’t have deep-pocketed celebrities or get massive taxpayer subsidies like Planned Parenthood. We rely on the support of grassroots pro-lifers all across the Commonwealth.
This threat is too dangerous not to have an “all hands-on deck” approach to this fight right now.
2020 Commonwealth Abortion Survey
Just look at the impact of what this amendment would do if added to the Virginia Constitution.
- Unscrupulous Abortionists will be able to perform abortions on minor age girls without their parents’ knowledge or consent.
- Babies partially delivered will be killed by Partial-Birth Abortions.
- Taxpayer funding of a huge number of abortions.
- Reversing the long-term trend of declining number of abortions in Virginia.
- Even modest restrictions on abortion until birth will be eliminated
- And no more pro-life laws will be passed in Virginia – ever, not even the rational Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act.
I hope you understand how dire this threat is to unborn babies in Virginia and why I had to send this email to you…
…and more importantly that you will respond today!
The good news is this process gives us several different steps in which to stop this awful amendment.
The bad news is that all of them will involve an extensive, coordinated campaign of grassroots activism, paid advertising, lobbying and turning out pro-life voters.
The process for passing an Amendment to the Virginia Constitution has four steps:
1. Passage of the Amendment by the Virginia General Assembly
2. An election for the House of Delegates must be held in between General Assembly Sessions
3. Passage of the Amendment by the Virginia General Assembly again following the election
4. Passage by a voter referendum.
We need to begin educating Virginians all across the commonwealth about the dangerous impact this pro-abortion amendment would cause so we can stop it either in the General Assembly or in the referendum.
As you can see the threat is real.
Time is short to begin to educate the public of the dangers of this amendment, recruit grassroots activists to help us fight passage of the amendment, pressure members of the General Assembly to oppose this amendment, and start identifying and mobilizing pro-life voters to elect pro-life members of the General Assembly or to vote against this referendum.
Pro-abortion politicians who currently control the General Assembly and activists are trying to push this amendment through with innocent sounding language by calling it “personal reproductive freedom.”
But we know what the amendment really means.
• Abortion-on-Demand for any reason, throughout all nine months of pregnancy paid for with taxpayer dollars.
• Remove bans on Partial-Birth Abortions and other existing pro-life laws in Virginia
• Allowing abortions through all nine months of pregnancy up to birth, even after unborn children can feel pain.
• Not protecting minor age girls and their unborn babies from unscrupulous abortionists
• No new protective pro-life laws in Virginia. NONE! EVER!
• Turning Virginia into a haven for abortionists, protecting them instead of the unborn
So, I hope you will help VSHL stand up and fight for those who cannot fight for themselves.
Here is an outline of our efforts to defeat this radical pro-abortion Amendment.
1) Distribute and collect tens of thousands of these Commonwealth Abortion surveys to show how once Virginians are informed of the facts of this extreme amendment, they are opposed to adding it to the Virginia Constitution.
2) Distribute and collect tens of thousands of the Petition to Stop the Right to Abortion Amendment to the Virginia Constitution.
3) Bypass the dishonest “fake news” media to expose facts of the extreme Right-to-Abortion Amendment to the Virginia Constitution.
We do this with letters like this one you are reading now – also by radio ads, emails, Facebook, Twitter, talk radio, and grassroots activism (like the Virginia March for Life).
4) Activate pro-life Virginian’s to get involved to fight the Right-to-Abortion Amendment. We need to have pro-life activists involved in this fight. The best way to educate the public is from person-to-person to bypass the pro-abortion media.
5) Comprehensive Pro-Life Lobbying Campaign to urge the Virginia General Assembly to oppose this amendment. This is worked on even when the General Assembly is not in session. There is much preparation to be done in advance of the Session starting – including strategy planning with pro-life leaders in the General Assembly, training grassroots activists, educating the public with information about the next Session and much more.
5) Pro-life Voter Mobilization Action Plan to educate and turn out pro-life voters. If Virginia elects a pro-life majority to the House of Delegates, they can put a stop to this Amendment. Given the results of the last two elections to the House of Delegates we have our work cut out for us.
Now there are a lot more details to our plan than I have time or space to put into this email, but I can assure you we have a comprehensive plan to defeat this amendment.
VSHL has been in this fight for a long time. We were the first state-wide pro-life organization in the country. And even now we are the only state-wide single-issue pro-life group in Virginia.
But we can’t do it alone.
If we are going to be able to defeat this amendment, we must expand our operations. We must broaden our outreach efforts.
Which is why I am sending this email to you today.
We need your help and we need it today.
As you consider whether to support this effort, remember how you felt when you heard the exchange between Delegate Tran and Delegate Gilbert. When Delegate Tran coldly said her bill would allow abortion right up until birth.
Remember how you felt when Governor Northam advocated for allowing babies who survived abortions to die from a lack of medical care when defending Delegate Tran’s bill.
This amendment would put Delegate Tran’s bill into the Virginia Constitution. And that is only one part of the permanent damage this radical Right-to-Abortion Amendment this would cause.
Remember your outrage and act today!
We cannot let the pro-abortion groups and their allies win this battle so please help us in the fight today.
Please participate in VSHL’s 2020 Commonwealth Abortion Survey right now.
Again, I wish I didn’t have to contact you when we are dealing with the Coronavirus. I hope you and your family are safe during this difficult time, but I could not wait any longer. My prayers are with you during this time.
Yours for Life,
Olivia Gans Turner
P.S. You can join the fight today against this radical Right-to-Abortion Amendment to the Virginia Constitution by Completing your 2020 Commonwealth Abortion Survey today!