Judge finds Daleiden and attorneys guilty of contempt of court, holds them responsible for $140,000 in lawyers and security fees

By Dave Andrusko

David Daleiden

David Daleiden

The legal onslaught against David Daleiden, his Center for Medical Progress, his colleague, and even his lawyers ratcheted up several notches on Monday .

As NRL News Today reported previously, U.S. District Court Judge William Orrick had threatened various punitive actions against Daleiden and his criminal defense lawyers, former Los Angeles County district attorney Steve Cooley and Brent Ferreira. Monday he lowered the boom.

For starters he held Daleiden and his attorneys in contempt of court for what Orrick said was their defiance of his order not to post undercover videos taken in 2015 at a National Abortion Federation conference.

in July 2015, Orrick granted an injunction after the National Abortion Federation (NAF) filed a restraining order to block the release of any videos that were taken at the NAF conference.

Subsequently the attorneys posted footage on their own website, arguing it had been legally released.

[Calif.] Attorney General Xavier Becerra has entered this footage into the public record by filing a public criminal proceeding based on it. The preliminary injunction obtained by NAF in a federal civil suit cannot bind this State criminal proceeding. (In fact, the SF Superior Court is now releasing certified copies of the court filings to the public with the links to the videos.)

Unconvinced, Orrick still ordered that it be taken down. The lawyers then took them off a new web portal they’d created to feature their legal defense of Daleiden as well as the names of the 14 people whose privacy Daleiden was accused of violating.

Which brings us to Monday. Judge Orrick described Cooley’s and Ferreira’s contention they were protecting their client’s right to a fair charge on criminal charges as “a fig leaf to cover their plan to violate the (court order) … to score a win in the court of public opinion,” according to San Francisco Chronicle reporter Bob Egelko. “Criminal defense counsel … do not get to decide whether they can violate the preliminary injunction.”

Adding insult to injury, NAF had argued it incurred additional costs because of the need for extra security because of threats it says followed when the attorneys posted the videos. Orrick obliged. He added those security charges to attorneys’ fees, and Orrick said he was holding Daleiden, Cooley, and Ferreira responsible for $140,000.

As NRL News Today has reported, pro-abortionists are also attacking Daleiden in state court as well. The Associated Press reported

Cooley and Ferreira represent Daleiden in a related criminal case in California accusing him of recording people without their permission in violation of state law. Ferreira on Monday called the federal judge’s contempt order “an unprecedented infringement on a state criminal case.”

As we noted last month, San Francisco Superior Court Judge Christopher Hite dismissed 14 “invasion-of-privacy charges.” Pro-abortion California Attorney General Becerra (who brought the charges in March) charged that the video were taken of 14 people without permission between October 2013 and July 2015 in Los Angeles, San Francisco and the county of El Dorado.

However, following the judge’s suggestions, Becerra amended the charges and refilled them. The Daleiden defense team countered that while the file names of some of the “offending” videos were included, they did not name the individuals who were part of the conversations.