More trouble for Michigan abortionist whose Muskegon abortion clinic was closed in December 2012


By Dave Andrusko

Abortionist Robert Alexander

Abortionist Robert Alexander

There are a handful of abortionists whose story never, ever seems to end. Add Michigan’s Robert Alexander to that list.

We have written over a dozen stories about Alexander. We thought we might have heard the last of him after his “Women’s Medical Services” in Muskegon was shut down by authorities in December 2012, which was followed by allegations that there’d been a conflict of interest in the way the Board of Medicine ’s former chairman, Dr. George Shade, handled allegations of botched abortions against Alexander.

Shade had been instrumental in Alexander getting his medical license back, according to Ken Kolker of (Alexander served two years in federal prison for illegal distribution of controlled substances.)

“The Target 8 investigation led the Michigan Senate to pass legislation that requires three board members to review allegations against doctors and requires board members to disclose conflicts of interest,” Kolker reported.

But in spite of everything, Alexander, 59, never lost his medical license.

alexanderinvestigationmichiganThen, earlier this week, Alexander was confronted in the parking lot of taxpayer-funded STD clinic in Detroit by a reporter from Woodtv 8. Alexander refused comment and resigned the next day.

“This man is really a danger not only to women, but to all patients he sees,” State Sen. Tonya Schuitmaker told Kolker. “The evidence is clear that he should not have a license, and it’s only a failure in the system that really allows him to still practice today.”

Kolker wrote

“IHP [Detroit’s Institute of Population Health] hired him in July 2013, according to the agency’s spokesman, Frazier Kimpson. Kimpson said IHP was aware of Alexander’s criminal background when it hired him, but did not know about the Muskegon clinic, the prior allegations of botched abortions, or the legislation based on his case.

“’At the time of hire, Dr. Alexander had a valid license to practice medicine and in addition was a board certified OB/Gyn,’ Kimpson wrote in an email to Target 8. ‘IPH does not provide abortion services, however later we became aware of his background relative to abortion services via a letter and pictures that were sent to our offices.’”

Alexander’s current troubles began the day after Christmas in 2012, when police investigated a broken rear door at his abortion clinic. Eric Gaertner of

“According to police reports released to MLive and The Muskegon Chronicle after a Freedom of Information Act request, police investigating the broken door reported unsanitary conditions throughout the clinic, including used hypodermic needles in unsecured containers, ‘blood on the floor and walls in multiple locations’ as well as dripping from a sink trap in a patient room, and ‘uncovered buckets containing unknown fluids’ in the operating room.”

In November the state Attorney General’s Office filed charges of incompetence and negligence against Alexander over conditions at the Women’s Medical Services abortion clinic. A woman who was identified as Alexander’s office manager at his now closed Muskegon abortion clinic told Kolker she had not been interviewed. Kolker wrote

“The woman, who didn’t want to be identified, said she worked for Alexander until his office was shut down in December 2012. Alexander performed an abortion on her several years before she started working for him, she said. She said she contacted Right to Life of Michigan in June 2012 — six months before the closing — after finding Alexander at a sink filled with used needles.

“’He was cleaning them and he was getting ready to re-use them on women, to give them medication,’ she told Target 8.

“She said she saw him use one of those needles on a patient.

“In recent years, the clinic was open only on Saturdays, with Alexander performing nine to 15 abortions on a typical day, the woman told Target 8. He charged less than others — about $377 plus $150 for medication, she said.

“The clinic, she said, was often unsanitary, with blood on walls and equipment.

“’That’s typical. As soon as he was done with a procedure, he would have it on his hands, he would touch the walls, he would walk all over.””

Please join those who are following me on Twitter at Send your comments to