By Alex Schadenberg, Executive Director – Euthanasia Prevention Coalition The family of Niall McGrath told the Irish Sun News that Niall, who awoke from a 21-year coma in 2010, would be dead if the decision recently passed by the UK’s Supreme Court had been in effect. Last month, UK’s Supreme Court decided that patients in a permanent …Continue reading "Man who woke from 21 year coma would not have had a second chance if euthanasia had been an option"
“The baby and the mother had become each other’s savior” By Dave Andrusko Doctors in Kottayam, India, were left speechless—and understandably so. Last January, a woman described only as Betina had arrived at Caritas Hospital “half dead” after a nasty fall left her with a severe brain injury. “The rate of her heart beat plunged …Continue reading "Mom wakes up from coma after baby boy is delivered"
By Fr. Mark Hodges ADA, Minnesota, December 22, 2017 – Sheila Lewis was in a coma and hadn’t had anything to eat or drink for 12 days. Her family expected her to die, but instead she woke up and asked for a glass of water. Now she’ll be able to celebrate Christmas with her family. On …Continue reading "Comatose woman unexpectedly awakens in time for Christmas, asks for water"
By Xavier Symons A 35-year-old man who had been in a persistent vegetative state for 15 years after a car accident has shown signs of consciousness after neurosurgeons implanted a nerve stimulator into his chest. The findings, reported this week in the journal Current Biology, suggest that “vagus nerve stimulation” (VNS)—a treatment already in use for …Continue reading "Coma victims, PVS patients, and “waking the dead”"
By Texas Right to Life Pro-Life Texans have long known the danger of giving hospital administrators power over life and death decisions. Under the anti-Life Texas 10-Day-Law, countless vulnerable Texans have been denied life-sustaining treatment against their written or spoken wishes or the wishes of their medical surrogate. Patients like Chris Dunn have been denied their …Continue reading "When doctors gave up on Beatrice, her husband fought for her: “He saved my life”"
Carrie DeKlyen would not abort her baby to remain in clinical trial By Dave Andrusko There is courage and there is courage. And there is faith and there is faith. Carrie and Nick DeKlyen of Wyoming, Michigan have a good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over of both. While in a coma and …Continue reading "Mother in coma with aggressive cancer gives birth to baby"
Doctors did not expect him to survive car crash at 124 MPH By Dave Andrusko When a friend who was driving the car Don Brunelle was a passenger in plowed his brand new Corvette into a cement hydro pole at 124 MPH, the 64-year-old Brunelle “suffered a broken sternum; broken ribs; broken vertebrae; a lacerated …Continue reading "Defying prognosis, Canadian man wakes from coma and returns home"
By Dave Andrusko Up until her 37th week, Louise Bonfield of Waltham Cross, Hertfordshire, England had experienced an uneventful pregnancy. And when her right arm and leg began tingling, she was told by a doctor that it was merely a “trapped nerve.” But subsequently when her mother, Maggie Bonfield, saw her daughter’s face sag and …Continue reading "Baby delivered while mother in coma wakes her mom with a lick to the cheek"
“The doctors were telling us there was nothing else they could do,” said Beverly Giles, 49, of Madisonville, Tennessee. “They already gave up hope. We never gave up. She’s fought this hard.” By Dave Andrusko 20-year-old Sharista Giles was five months pregnant and on her way home from a concert in Nashville when the driver …Continue reading "Pregnant woman awakes from coma to see she has delivered her baby"
By Dave Andrusko It’s an all-too-familiar story line with an all-too-rare outcome. Matt and Danielle Davis had been married only seven months when Matt suffered a devastating motorcycle accident. He was left in a coma and on life support. “Doctors recommended letting Matt Davis die because there was a 90 percent chance he would never …Continue reading "Told her husband had only a 10% of waking up, wife refuses to “let him die” and he is now making a recovery"
By Dave Andrusko Maggie Fox is a medical reporter now working for NBC News. I have her name plugged into my “Google Alerts” so when she’s written something I will know virtually the minute it goes online. Often I learn a lot while disagreeing with much that appears in her stories. The headline attached to …Continue reading "Using MRI brain scans to reach out to severely brain-injured patients"
By Liz Townsend Editor’s note. Today’s story by Liz Townsend, from the October 2001 edition, is the latest in our year-long “Roe at 40” series that offers some of the best stories from National Right to Life News going all the way back to 1973. Liz’s story is, of course, more than 11 years old …Continue reading "Recovery from Coma Is a Reality for Many Patients"