By Missouri Right to Life
Missouri Right to Life Thanks Attorney General Eric Schmitt for Standing for Life as he fights for the right to life of ALL unborn children.
On April 13, the Sixth Circuit Court Upheld Ohio’s law to protect unborn children with a pre-natal Down Syndrome diagnosis.
On April 14, Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt released a statement and filed a Rule 28(j) letter with the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals citing the Sixth Circuit decision and seeking to uphold a provision in Missouri’s HB 126 which passed in 2019 “that, similar to the Ohio law, prevents a doctor from performing an abortion when he or she knows that the patient is seeking the abortion because of a pre-natal diagnosis of Down syndrome.”
Following is a summary of the provisions of HB 126 that Missouri Right to Life fought so hard to put into statute. HB126 as amended has multiple provisions including:
- A “new version” of the heartbeat bill noting stages of development at 8, 14 & 18 weeks gestational age with severability clauses at each step.
- The Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act, which bans abortion at 20 weeks when unborn children are capable of feeling pain. The Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act is in effect in 16 other states.
- The “Right to Life of the Unborn Child Act,” a “trigger ban” on all abortions in Missouri contingent upon the overturning of Roe v. Wade.
- A requirement that the second custodial parent be notified when a minor seeks an abortion.
- A ban on abortions for race, gender, or a Down Syndrome diagnosis.
- An increase in the medical malpractice insurance requirements for those performing or inducing abortions, bringing it in line with medical standards for other surgical procedures.
- A requirement that abortion facilities and family planning agencies provide Missouri’s printed informed consent information to a woman if they refer her to an out-of-state abortion facility.
The language of HB126 as amended reflects the scientific truth of the humanity of the unborn child. HB126 is life-saving legislation.
Please pray for our Attorney General and his staff of Attorneys as they fight for the innocent baby in the womb and as they fight to defend the life-saving legislation of HB 126.