By Maria V. Gallagher, Legislative Director, Pennsylvania Pro-Life Federation
I find myself with many reasons to celebrate National Adoption Month.
1. I am grateful for the two families who adopted two very smart, very kind classmates who challenged me to realize my academic potential in elementary school. They were both so very gifted, with a strong sense of purpose. I wanted to emulate them, to keep up with them in everything from phonics lessons to dramatic productions. These two girls hold a special place in my heart, and I am so happy to have known them.
2. I am thankful for the co-worker who adopted a baby girl from China. I loved it when the little one would visit our office and sit with me when I was at my computer. She brought joy and giggles everywhere she went, and she made the workplace magical with her ever-present smile.
3. I am beholden to the extended family on my mother’s side of the family tree who adopted a girl who became one of my Mom’s favorite people. She would talk constantly about what the young woman was doing in her life, about her children, and about what made her so special.
4. I am elated that a good friend of mine and her husband have adopted a little girl. I watched for so long as my friend struggled with infertility and missed adoption opportunities. The day I learned that a young girl finally was moving into her home made me overwhelmed with gratitude. This family, born from the heart, is incredibly important to me.
5. I am exceedingly grateful that my extended family on my father’s side were able to adopt two boys who became cherished members of our clan. Watching them grow up alongside my sister and me was a wonderful experience.
For the most part, I forget about the fact that they came to our family through adoption. I could not love them anymore if we were bonded by blood. Instead, I am elated that we are bound together by love and the shared experiences of our entertaining family.
These are just some of the ways that adoption has touched my life. My hope is that others will share their own adoption experiences so that more people will decide to embrace and champion this amazing gift.