Victim of brutal attack that killed her unborn baby goes home from hospital

By Dave Andrusko

Michelle Wilkins

Michelle Wilkins

Michelle Wilkins, the 7-month-pregnant victim of a savage attack that ended with her baby dead, has left the hospital and is in a “safe location” “surrounded by friends and family,” according to a statement issued by the 26-year-old woman’s family.

Dynel Lane, the alleged assailant, is being held on $2 million bond. Boulder County district attorney spokeswoman Catherine Olguin told reporters formal charges are expected tomorrow afternoon.

An autopsy was performed on Wilkins’ baby last Friday. Lane, 34, was supposed to be charged Wednesday in the March 18 attack, but Olguin said the office needs more time for its review.

“We are still waiting on the autopsy results and detectives’ reports,” Olguin said.

Lane was arrested on suspicion of attempted first-degree murder, first-degree assault and child abuse knowingly and recklessly resulting in death, the Los Angeles Times reported. She is being held on a $2-million bond. Depending on the results of the autopsy, Lane might be charged with murder.

According to the criminal complaint, Lane’s husband was unaware of what his wife had done when he came home the afternoon of March 18. She had told him she was pregnant and when he came home and saw her drenched in blood, Lane told her husband she had miscarried.

He told police the baby was alive.

“He rubbed the baby slightly, then rolled it over to hear and see it take a gasping breath,” according to the complaint.

Wilkins’s family said in a statement Wednesday

Michelle is out of the hospital and in a safe place. As you might imagine, we’re navigating troubled waters one would never want to see in a lifetime. The issues to be dealt with now are coming like tsunamis, but she has family and friends by her side every step of the way (not to mention her beloved dog Jade, who is now permanently glued to her side).

What we didn’t anticipate, and for which we will eternally grateful, is the outpouring your generous donations and heartfelt messages. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Additional details have become available, beyond the basics that Lane allegedly beat and stabbed Wilkins after she responded to a Craigslist ad for maternity clothes and then literally cut the baby out of Ms. Wilkins.

Wilkins, covered in blood, was somehow able to protect herself from further attack by locking herself in a room. She called 911 and told the dispatcher, “Please help. I’m bleeding out.” The Times further reported

When officers arrived at the home, they found Wilkins in a bedroom in the basement, lying on a bed with a large amount of blood on her and around her. A small knife was found underneath the bed, police said. She was rushed to the hospital to undergo emergency surgery.

Meanwhile Lane’s husband, who knew nothing of the horrific crime, rushed Lane and the baby to the hospital where Lane’s story fell apart. Tragically, the baby, whom Wilkins was going to name Aurora, died.

Editor’s note. If you want to peruse stories all day long, either go directly to and/or follow me on Twitter at