Editor’s note. The following statement from NRLC President Carol Tobias was delivered today in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
I am proud and honored to be here today to announce the National Right to Life endorsement of Bill Cassidy for election to the United States Senate.
For the past six years, Congressman Bill Cassidy has been a strong advocate for the people of his district, born and unborn. Now all Louisianans have an opportunity to be well-represented by this outspoken advocate for the most vulnerable members of our human family.
Those who care first about innocent human life should recognize the need to add his voice to the United States Senate.
During his six years in Congress, Bill Cassidy has co-sponsored legislation:
* to protect unborn children at 20 weeks, a point by which the unborn child is capable of experiencing great pain when being killed by dismemberment or other late abortion techniques.
* to establish a permanent, government-wide prohibition on federal subsidies for abortion and for health plans that cover abortion. This policy would apply both to longstanding federal programs and to the new programs created by Obamacare.
* to require any abortionist to notify the parent of an out-of-state minor, and place restrictions on non-parents transporting minors across state lines to obtain abortions.
* to prohibit the performance of abortion based on the sex of the child.
And Bill Cassidy voted against Obamacare, which provides government funding for insurance plans that pay for abortion on demand, and will lead to the rationing of lifesaving medical treatments.
In stark contrast:
* Mary Landrieu voted to endorse the U.S. Supreme Court’s Roe v. Wade decision which gave America abortion on demand for any reason and has cost the lives of more than 56 million unborn children.
* Mary Landrieu opposes the bill that would protect unborn children from abortion after 20 weeks, when they are capable of experiencing excruciating pain during abortions.
* Mary Landrieu voted to enact Obamacare, which provides government funding for insurance plans that pay for abortion on demand, and will lead to the rationing of lifesaving medical treatments.
No one likes to be criticized, including elected officials. Unfortunately, some of those elected officials try to use their authority to pass laws to silence the rest of us, under the guise of “campaign finance reform.” Our right to speak directly to the public, explaining the actions of elected officials, is critical to the survival and success of the pro-life movement.
Bill Cassidy voted to defend the First Amendment right of free speech, even if that means he would be subject to attacks himself. Mary Landrieu voted to employ the threat of criminal sanctions, among other deterrents, to reduce the amount of private speech regarding the actions of incumbent lawmakers, including herself.
Louisiana is a pro-life state and those views have been consistently ignored by Mary Landrieu. We urge Louisiana voters to elect a true, clear, pro-life voice to the U.S. Senate. Elect a senator who will stand up and provide a voice for the most vulnerable members of society. Elect Bill Cassidy to the U.S. Senate.
“For decades—right up to this very moment—abortion advocates have gone to extraordinary lengths to ignore,… Read More
By Dave Andrusko The headline to a post at Rasmussen Reports reads “Abortion: Half of… Read More
Editor’s note. As our readers know, the case which the U.S. Supreme Court used to… Read More
By Karen Cross, NRL Political Director The pro-life movement has an important job to do!… Read More
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) is introducing a resolution celebrating the pro-life movement… Read More
By Kathleen Krumhansl While pro-abortion activists wreak havoc across the nation by throwing firebombs into… Read More