Individuals with Down syndrome are precious gifts to our world. Here are just a few reasons why they are so awesome!
1. They’re pointing out that every life has value.
2. They’re climbing Mt. Everest.
A courageous young man from Oregon recently made history with the first recorded account of an American teenager with Down syndrome to reach a base camp of Mt. Everest.
3. They’re changing the face of fashion.
6-year old Ryan Langston has appeared in a Nordstrom catalog and an ad for Target. “He’s a beautiful little boy and he does shine, he has a beautiful little light and I think that’s what people are seeing,” Ryan’s mother Amanda said.
This was the Target ad.
4. They’re succeeding in business.
Individuals with Down syndrome are breaking stereotypes into bits and pieces — from running a restaurant to launching a pottery business.
5. They’re starring in TV shows.
Actress Lauren Potter appears on Fox’s Glee.
6. They’re going viral on social media.
This photo went viral on Facebook garnering thousands of Likes and Shares.
7. They’re being elected to public office.
In 2013, Angela Bachiller became the first person with Down syndrome to be elected as a councilwoman. She now works at the Ayuntamiento (municipality) of Valladolid, Spain, and is expected to continue her political career.
8. They’re enriching the lives of those around them.
Among 2,044 parents or guardians surveyed, 79 percent reported their outlook on life was more positive because of their child with Down syndrome.
9. They’re making incredible strides in education.
Megan McCormick is the first person with Down syndrome to graduate with honors from a technical college in United States. This past May, Megan earned her degree in education and was at the top of her class at Bluegrass Community Technical College in Kentucky.